Re: [TECH] 2.0 16v into an 81 "S"

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason87VW <jason87vw@nac.net>

> 1.) What will I need as far as a full Motronic Setup is concerned. Will it
> be enough (elect, fuel) ?

That's the system that VW sold the 2.0 16V's with. Yes it's enough, and you
an chip it for a bit more.

> 2.) I have a Supersprint Header and Autotech resonator back exhaust. It
was
> on my 87 16v. Will this same exhaust fit on the 81 "S" ?

Yes, everything will fit except for the muffler.

&
> Stainless Steel Brake lines (6 in a package). Will this setup work with
the
> 81 "S" ? It has been commented to me that I would need the spindles and
> backplates from the 87 16v. Wouldn't I also need the calipers.

Yes it all will fit. Of course you will need the calipers to have rear disc
brakes. All that stuff unbolts from your 16V rear axel and will bolt up to
your 81 S rear axel. (just bang it with a hammer in one place to make the
driver's side caliper fit, adn bed the lines accordingly.) For an exact fit,
just remove the entire axel from a 16V. It will bolt right up to your 81 S.

> 4.) I have a 4k trans (w/ 100mm flanges). Can I still use the 16v axles
> inside the 81 "S" ?

Yes you can.

> 5.) The prepump in the gas tank - I have heard that the MK1's have a
> tendancy to act like they want to stall when cornering REAL tight and
being
> low on gas. I heard that when the 16v's were made, they inproved the
prepump
> (or added it) to resolve this problem. Is this a total myth ? If true,
will
> I be able to swap the one from my 87 16v into the 81 "S" ?

The newer vehicles have the internal pump, but I'm not keen on why VW
started using it. My 81 has never starved for fuel while cornering. In fact
every VW I've owned with the internal pump has needed it to be replaced. How
do you know when it needs to be replaced? It starts starving the system of
fuel and buck like crazy!

> Thanks in advance for any answers,

Hope that helps!

-- Craig Williams
1981 Scirocco S 2008cc 16V (As seen in 01-2001 Sport Compact Car)
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For the Wife & baby)
2000 Saab Viggen (20 psi, Turbo charged monster)
Northern California, USA