Re: [Axle] Why is my CV joint flopping around?

>So,
>is it possible the axle has just pulled out of the CV (but what of the
>circlip?) or is it possible the CV itself has become separated (like a
>shoulder joint)
><shudder>.
>
>Do you think I can just pop the axle back down the middle of the CV
>without having to open the boot?
>
>tia,
>TBerk

I've seen this happen before, came off the totally thrashed 86 16v donor
car for Jim J's 16v conversion.  The CV joints were clearly thrashed,
and if I remember correctly, some of the bearings just fell out of a
rip in the boot right afterwards.  Usually they don't come apart that
easily.  If it were me in your place, I'd replace them with new joints.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net