Re: High Pitched Noise from 16v

I had this on my  car... I tracked it down to the power steering pump, turn
engine on and use carefully a long shaft screwdriver and hold it against the
body of the pump and listen on the handle side, if it is the powersteering
pump you will hear the sound clear as light, also another symptom of a tired
powersteering pump is that the liquid in teh bowl now has brown/black swirls
into it...

On Thu, 10 May 2001 15:42:33 -0700 (PDT), RoccotMan .aka Jason Adams said:

> This is my first 16v so I'm not sure if this is normal, I
>  expect not.  At anywhere above ~2500rpm there is a faint
>  high pitched metal noise.. I thought it was a timing belt
>  tensioner at first, so I replaced it.. Still there.  Could
>  it be the timing chain inside the valve train? or perhaps a
>  waterpump? Doesn't seem to effect performance. Just kinda
>  annoying...
>
>  oh yeah 1.8L 16v from an 87roc
>
>  =====
>  Jason Adams
>  Fahrvergnugen Forever :) Oo=w=oO
>  84 rocco 16v
>  84 rocco turbo (project stage)
>  98 chevy Z71 (cause everyone needs a truck!)
>  ....I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter...

Patrick Bureau
Titian Red 85 8v
http://longcoeur.com/scirocco
I can be found @ online messengers;