From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of David Guido
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 5:08 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Wheel bearing swaps

I'm in the process of replacing my old worn-out front wheel bearings and had
a thought.

Anybody ever swap-out there stock 64 mm (OD)front wheel bearings/hubs for
larger ones?

German built Jetta 2's 1985-1987 used 66 mm

German built Jetta 2's 1988-92 used 72mm wheel bearings.

Fox/Quantum's used 68mm front wheel bearing I believe.

Would any of these larger sizes work? Is it a direct bolt-on? It seems to
make sense that they would be superior to our stock 64 mm bearings and
tolerate higher temps, plus last a whole lot longer.

David G