Re: sudden car death (fuel pump dead?)

I have my fuel filter out, how safe/effective is it to test the fuel
pump by jumping the relay terminals?  The fuel pump won't spark
and ignite my whole car or something will it?

I jumped the pump while it was in and the thing doesn't quite
sound up to par, it's more of a "mmuuuurrrr" sound than the usual
"whhhhizzzzzz" that I'm used to.  (Were those good text-based
sound effects or what?)  Could this be a problem?  I could see
a bump in the road making the fuel pump fail but would it still
sound like it's running but still be dead?