Re: 16V oil pressure problem

--- Brett Van Sprewenburg <brett@netacc.net> wrote:
> >I am new to this list and have a problem I hope
> someone can help me with.
> >
> >I have a 1988 Scirocco 16V I've had since new (250K
> miles!).
> >Recently I noticed that the oil pressure sensor was
> going off when
> >the car was under load if the RPM's fell below 2K.
> It will not come
> >on if the car is idling or if under load and less
> than 2K rpm.  I
> >replaced both the high and low pressure sensors
> with new, factory
> >parts and there is no difference.  It seems that if
> it needed
> >bearings and/or an oil pump, that it would do this
> at idle or under
> >load at low engine speeds.  Any comments or
> suggestions would be
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Alex

Alex, I had the same problem with my 87'. I replaced
the sensors as you did. For a while the problem went
away. When it came back I ran heavier oil. It happened
less then, but it still haunted me. It went off at
about 2k rpm, like yours. One day I was changing the
spark plugs and I noticed there was a valve cover
leak. The gasket was replaced, and the buzzing is
gone. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, the first thing I
checked was the oil pump.

=====
Jorel Jackson
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos