Re: 16V oil pressure problem

>I am new to this list and have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
>
>I have a 1988 Scirocco 16V I've had since new (250K miles!).
>Recently I noticed that the oil pressure sensor was going off when
>the car was under load if the RPM's fell below 2K.  It will not come
>on if the car is idling or if under load and less than 2K rpm.  I
>replaced both the high and low pressure sensors with new, factory
>parts and there is no difference.  It seems that if it needed
>bearings and/or an oil pump, that it would do this at idle or under
>load at low engine speeds.  Any comments or suggestions would be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Alex

A common problem has been that the 'L' shaped oil circuit board and
buzzer unit goes bad.  It's not too hard to get at, but it is
behind the speedometer and requires removal of the instrument cluster
and a partial dissassembly.  There are instructions on how to do it
on my gauge faces page at http://da-studios.freeyellow.com.

Here's something else you can try...ground both (or one at a time)
of the wires running to the senders. This will give the oil pressure
circuit a constant 'good' reading.  If it still buzzes, you know it's
more likely the circuit board or the wiring somewhere between.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net