was : ...SF question, Now SF - What to Do When not at ND

Folks, I am opening this back up to the list because so many folks will
be in from out of town May the 19-20 for ND. If you aren't, well there
is still time to join the fun. I can even pick you up from the air port,
how's that?!  :)

TBerk

george curl wrote:

> Also, since the GF and I will be at the ND show, are
> there any sightseeing things around the SF area we
> should check out.  This trip is under the assumptions
> we're going to be on vacation and I kinda need some
> stuff to take pics of that isn't VW related for the
> family albums.  I know some of yall are familiar with
> the area so that's why I'm asking.
>
> George-

George,

Here is a follow up to your post:

- There are the touristy spots like the Ghirardelli Square / Fishermen's
Wharf area, Pier 39 etc.,  Lombard St. (twisty), the Golden Gate Bridge,
Japan Town, China Town (Grant Ave. gate), Union Square, and Nordstroms
on Market st.

- There are neighborhoods like the Castro (those 'happy' people), Haight
/ Ashbury, North Beach, South of Market - SOMA (Giants new Pac Bell ball
park & Sony Metreon), and the Mission.

- Golden Gate Park & the Zoo, the Presidio & Crissy Field, the coast
with beaches & the Cliff House, Twin Peaks (can't miss the big
transmitter on top).

- Lots of places to eat, I'll look for a review list or two you can pick
from, and include some favorites of my own.

- There is also the Greater Bay Area around SF; Sausilito and Napa
vineyards & Calistoga Hot Springs to the North, Berkeley & Telegraph
Ave., Oakland / Emeryville with Jazz clubs and history & such + Contra
Costa county with Mt Diablo to the East (nice drive to the top), Silicon
Valley & the Peninsula & Half Moon Bay (on the coast) to the South.

Lets see what kind of links I can pull up:

<http://www.sfgate.com/traveler> Local paper/TV web site with travel tips.

<http://www.bayinsider.com/restaurants/food/reviews/topten_brewpubs_005.html>
I got real specific here but you can navigate the main part of the site;
it's like the one above. I mention the Thirsty Bear specifically because
it, along with the Beach Chalet out on the coast just south of the Cliff
House, these are two of my favorites.
<http://www.beachchalet.com>   Oops, forgot this one too:
<http://triplerock.com>. They are a brew pub in Berkeley and are
associated with another place down the street (Across from BART, more on
that later) where you can sit on the back patio and hear jazz under an
open sky, called Jupiter.

<http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/North_America/United_States/California/Localities/S/San_Francisco/Travel_and_Tourism/Travel_Guides>
  Google.com's Travel Guide section for SF.

<http://visit-san-francisco.com> Tourist Info, lots of top items explained.

<http://www.sftravel.com> Hmmm, these guys seem brutally honest (at
least they say they are)

Note that this last site has links to public transpo, BART is our
version of the Underground or Subway. Go for a ride while you're here.

hth,
TBerk