16v no spark,...distributor question

OK...I changed out the ignition module today that I got new from
Adirondack....start the car (1988 16v )  run it down the road and dead on
3200 rpms,....the car felt as though someone had stood in front of the car
and was holding it back.  (maybe timing or fuel issues)   So I double check
timing and fuel.....  Ma is bouncing between 3.89 and 5.23....timing is dead
on the little "V" on the flywheel.   Hmmm,...go run it again,..same thing
except on the way home,...tach needle goes to 0 and car stumbles for may 15
sec and then dies.  Cranks fine but will not start.  I sit for about 5 min
scratching head and it cranks back up and I come home.  Sit in drive way
idling while checking timing and car dies.....won't start back up at all.
So out comes the Bentley and I check for spark at #1 plug....no spark.
Check for power on -1 at coil:   the test light comes on and stays
on....doesn't flash as per Bentley.  But I figure it is getting power.  Next
check is distributor,...open it up,..(new as of 1500 miles ago)  the rotor
is real black on the end ...has a kind of "bubbled/burnt" look.  Inside the
cap I find the same thing on all the contact points.  WTF?  I don't think
this is the problem,....but I thought it was a bit strange.  Any ideas what
is causing this?  Naturally I had to bust the rotor off to remove it..(must
be glued on?)   So till tomorrow when I can get another...the saga
continues.  Any other things I should check for the no start/spark scenario?
Thanks,
Chris