Re: More Suspension/Shock ?'s

On Thu, 3 May 2001 06:46:16 -0700 (PDT) Keith Fullerton
<kefullerton@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hey List,
>
> I also need to replace my front shocks and will most likely be going
> with Bilstein...
> Adirondack only lists the HD's for Scirocco's, but I know alot of
> you are using the Sports...what's the difference/recommendations for 84

> 8v daily driver.
> If it matters, I currently have Autotech springs...about 6 years old
> and *not* sagging :).

You need Sports for the HöR lowering springs.

> Also I don't know what is currently on the car (I think one of the
> Boge or Sachs products...they are completely shot). Do you recommend
> getting the complete strut or just the inserts up front? Is there any
real
> difference in the "PITA" factor on installation?

The Sports only come as inserts.

> Are OEM strut bearings a good choice? Adirondack offers A1 style and
> A2 Heavy Duty bump stops. I'm probably going to get the A2 unless there

> is a good reason not to. Or a better brand gets recommended.
>
> I have never replaced shock before and All advice/information is
> appreciated.
>
> Tia,
> -Keith

You don't need bump stops with Bilsteins, they are built in.

The regular OEM Febi-Bilstein mounts are ok for daily driving.
The Urethane strut mounts are better, but they are no longer available.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Oddball Scirocco JH/FF