Re: noisy valve ???

T Berk wrote:

>If the lifters are new, and there isn't any other parts of the valve
>train that is defective or worn then I have been lead to believe the
>trouble may be low oil pressure. Do you have an oil pressure gauge in
>your setup?

I have an oil pressure gauge, I read 28-30 psi at 2000 rpm when the engine
is warm. Nothing else replaced in  the valve train. Which parts can be worn
in the valve train to get this noise ?
>Previously I had poured some Lubro Molly brand oil detergent in and
>drove it around a little over the recommended 200 miles.  Improved
>things but not really a solution.

I was using Sentinel 10/40 synthetic oil, but that noise kept being a pain.
Actually immediately after switching to synthetic oil, I began loosing
around 0.5 liter oil per 1500 km or 15 days. There are slight leaks here and
there, no black residue in the exhaust pipe, no blue smoke, no drops under
the car, so I do not know where I spent all that money to top the oil level.
Anyway, now I use mineral oil (castrol) and haven't checked this oil
consumption yet.

>If I keep the oil about a half quart over indicated full then I have a
>quiet engine. I don't know if any lifters have been replaced in the past
>but it doesn't sound like it.

Yes, increasing oil level by adding half a liter improves the situation.

>I think some mech. work will be required on the engine internals, at
>least in my case. Oh well, good time to switch to the rubber valve
>gasket.    :)
>
>hth,
>TBerk

Thanks for suggestions...