Re: noisy valve ???

Bulent Topakoglu wrote:

> I' ve a strange noise coming from somewhere around valves. I' ll try to
> summarize symptoms:
>
> 1. When the oil level is around minimum mark on the stick, I hear a loud
> metallic pulse. It is something like one lobe of cam is hitting somewhere.

Sounds like common lifter noise problem. Lots of us have this. It is
usually only present when the car has been sitting a long time and/or is
very cold. Supposed to go away almost immediately as the oil pumps up.

> 2. I had those eight hydraulic cylinders replaced two months ago (cylinders
> between the cam and valve stems).

I hear them being called 'Lifters", these cylinders you mention. Besides
being replaced, was any other work done? Any other parts replaced?

> 3. I still hear this noise, not as loud as it was though. Sometimes it
> completely fades away, sometimes audible only when idling (I have a very
> noisy muffler).
>
> 4. New oil, good level (Castrol 20/50), new oil filter.
>
> Any idea ????
> (sorry for any grammatical errors)
> TIA
> Bulent,
> '76 Scirocco, 1.8 8v engine with hydraulic lifters

If the lifters are new, and there isn't any other parts of the valve
train that is defective or worn then I have been lead to believe the
trouble may be low oil pressure. Do you have an oil pressure gauge in
your setup?

I have a 10:1 engine with this same trouble, I can make the problem go
away most of the time. Right now I have some Marvel Mystery oil in the
new 20w50 oil. Works as advertised but I still have a little ticking
from time to time. And I think when I change the oil the sound will
return.

Previously I had poured some Lubro Molly brand oil detergent in and
drove it around a little over the recommended 200 miles.  Improved
things but not really a solution.

If I keep the oil about a half quart over indicated full then I have a
quiet engine. I don't know if any lifters have been replaced in the past
but it doesn't sound like it.

I think some mech. work will be required on the engine internals, at
least in my case. Oh well, good time to switch to the rubber valve
gasket.    :)

hth,
TBerk