Decked JH vs JH with RD pistons?

Hello list:

	My '81 with stock 1.7L EN is getting near terminal so I've got to seriously
start thinking about a motor swap.  I'd like to stay 8V while maximizing my
ease of swap:power:cost ratio as favorable as possible.  I've sorta narrowed
my choices to:

1.  Stock JH with a decked head.  I assume that this would be easiest and
would allow me to stay stock CIS?

2.  JH with RD pistons.  Am I correct that this would yield a 10:1
compression ratio, and more power, but necessitating CIS-E and its knock
sensor?

	Will both of these combos be interference type engines?  Can either get
past the California smog referee or are folks letting the smog tester think
that the engine is stock?  Does anyone have a bead on ready to install or
rebuildable motors in the Los Angeles (Pasadena) area.  Cost is an issue.
Thanks for any help.  benton------