Re: Decked JH vs JH with RD pistons?

Ben Channard wrote:

> Hello list:
>
>         My '81 with stock 1.7L EN is getting near terminal
<snip>
>         Will both of these combos be interference type engines?  Can either get
> past the California smog referee or are folks letting the smog tester think
> that the engine is stock?  Does anyone have a bead on ready to install or
> rebuildable motors in the Los Angeles (Pasadena) area.  Cost is an issue.
> Thanks for any help.  benton------

Ben, the two main things re Cali Smog Mavens is:

1. Passing the visual.

2. Passing what comes out the exhaust.

If you retain your original vacuum lines, ERG, etc. stuff on the top end
this will go a long way to satisfying #1, if you don't get too radical
with cams and such you will help #2, since any motor you put in would be
freshened somewhat, right? (New timing belt, plugs, filter, etc.),
valve job (mechanical lifters) would be a wonderful idea at a time like this.

Of course you would want to do the right thing and get checked for full
compliance by a referee- they will want you to have the complete smog
equipment for which ever is later: the chassis or the engine.  (prob the
engine) Then you can get the sticker in the door jamb and get past smog
checks much easier.

hth,
TBerk