feeling screwed on shipping

I just bought a corbeau seat bracket off a guy on ebay for $20 and he is
claiming that the shipping is $17 from Maine to my house here in Mobile.  He
says he has to use fedex, as there is no UPS within 50 miles.  Does this
sound high to anyone else but me?  I do a lot of shipping, and am usually
pretty close when I guess a rate.  I just got a rate yesterday for shipping
a pair of Boge Struts at a little over $10 via UPS ground, which I imagine
are heavier than a seat bracket?  Anyways, just ranting!

Regards,

-=Rick
84 8V Wolfs
Mobile, AL