Re: Car Thieves Revisited [OT as can be]

>$1000 into it, and it has a detachable face cd player in it.  What's to
>steal?  And if they do grab it, well, I'll move on.

What's to steal?  You might be surprised.  Back in my college days, when I
lived in the "less favorable" parts of Kansas City, the *stock* head unit
was stolen from my '85 Scirocco.  It wasn't the first break-in, and it
wasn't the last.  (On a slightly more entertaining note, I bought a pull-out
head unit to replace it.  That one was actually stolen from my apartment,
because I left it sitting on my desk while at class.  D'OH!)

Fortunately, I'm living in a much nicer part of town now, and have a garage.

Basically, I've learned that if someone wants what you have badly
enough--even if you don't think it's that valuable--they're gonna try to
take it.  That's why my Scirocco will have at least one kill switch and no
visible head unit when I'm done with her.

Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
'95 GTI VR6
http://members.home.net/mikes.vws