Re: Early 'N' Grind cam?

The part number for the N grind cam is 049 109 101 N (funny, that :) )

I can't speak for the profile on the C cam, but the N reared it's head
around '79 on the Rabbit et al (1.6L.)  It was used on 1.6 and 1.8's (in
Europe) including the high compression DX engine until hydraulic lifters
were introduced.

Shy of profiling one (or finding some docs somewhere) it's hard to say for
sure, but you could probably assume a profile that resulted in similar
power as the N grind, but different running characteristics, and possibly
emissions.  The N served as the replacement for the C, with no posted
increase (or decrease) in HP for those engines which were so equipped, so
who's to say?

Drew (84 Wolfsburg JH with N grind, waiting for the installation of the
1.8 JH with RD pistons and G grind)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:

> Is this the N grind cam?  Better then the stock JH cam, not quite as
> good at a G grind...
>

> (049 109 101C)  Audi Fox  75-79/Audi 4000/4  1980
>                  VW Rabbit 77-80/VW Jetta 1980
>                  VW Dasher & Scirocco 76-80
>
> I found a place blowing them out for $99...
>
> ==Brett
>
>  \/  '84 Scirocco (ITB racer 2B) | "Hot VW's, take two home. They're small"
> \/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca