Steering Rack Problems

I thought that I needed a passenger side tie rod.  With the wheels off the ground, I can move the passenger side drive wheel a little, like something is loose.  When I got the car on some jack stands with the wheel off, the play is coming from inside the rack.  (I have manual steering) The drivers side tie rod has no play.  Is there a way to adjust the play out of just one side?  It seems as if the rack and the steering gear assembly are different pieces, ant one got their part numbers? Any good used manual racks laying around in someone's shop?

Kervin Ridgley
86 Scirocco II 8v
92 Golf GL