Engine replacement opinions needed

Title: Engine replacement opinions needed

Well here is the scoop,

I have just been notified of a 16V 1.8L Scirocco engine with header (complete with fuel distrib, electrical, manifolds, etc, etc) in my area.

I also have a line on an Audi 3A 2L engine with an 86 gti head on it (needs electrical, manifolds, etc, etc)

16V has fairly high mileage on it, 2L has low mileage on bottom end, unknown mileage on head.

16V is going for $1,600 3A is going for $750 - these are Canadian dollars so it is spare change to the rest of you ;)

My dilemma is:  Is the 16V worth spending double on?

Let me know what you think.  Is it work installing the 16V (a little more work) or is it better to get the 3A and do a little head work, or spend a little on things like header for the 2L, etc.

I want a decent street car.  I don't race (yet) so I need something to get me in and out of traffic fast when I need it.

Thanks

Cory