Re: Engine replacement opinions needed

Cory,

What car is this engine going into?  Are there any emissions concerns?

A high-mileage 16v (depending on how well it was taken care of) may or may not give you trouble.  Given the prices and info, I believe (this is just my personal opinion) I would go for the 3A.  In my opinion it isn't even worth buying a 1.8 16v unless you need it to pass a mk1 thru CA emissions.  I would definitely buy a 2.0 16v if the 16v thing is what you want to do.  Much better base to build up, plus it's more worth it to rebuild.  I don't think I would spend the money to rebuild a 1.8 16v.  But that's just me.

If the 3A bottom end is solid like you say it is, I would buy it.  Plus I believe it would be more trouble to swap in the 1.8 16v; you would need the entire injection system, manifolds, airbox, etc etc.  The 3A would be a kickass torquey daily driver that you could drop a lumpy cam into later on and have a screamer.  All this is MHO, don't take it for fact...

HTH

Joe