Re: {tech} Damn Cam knowledge- revisited

At 8:55 PM -0500 3/15/01, Scott Williams wrote:
>Bottom-end? What bottom-end? You'll be a hero above 5000k rpms but
>before that... You'd better watch out for those ferocious Geo Metros. :^)

I've said it more than once, but I'll say it again - don't believe the
hype.  I drove a set of 276es for about 6 months, and I raced a few 5.0s
off the line with them.  I'd give up a few car lengths until the top of 3rd
gear, but then it was payback time.  Wind it out through 4th and by the
time I got into 5th it was over...

The tough part about drivng a set of wild cams on the street is the launch
- launch too low, and you bog the motor in the black-hole-of-torque around
3500rpm (seen my dyno sheet?); launch too high, or get too aggressive, and
you light up the tires.  I never really did get the hang of launching that
car consistently hard.  A Quaife would really have helped, but regardless,
once you redline first and get up into the meat of 2nd, it's nothing but hp
until you hit the limiter in 5th.  :)