Re: Brake upgrade for the '81?

Shawn C Meze wrote:

> I agree with you and will add the only negative and definitely something
> to consider when deciding to do a 9.4 to 10.1 upgrade is that you will
> not be able to fit 13" wheels on the car.

Yep. This actually does become a pain in the arse during the wintertime
when I want to mount my snow wheels/tires. Typically I run 13" because
of the extra sidewall compliance. Finding 14x5" rims has proven nearly
impossible too...

> Most people use 15's or bigger and it is but if you plan to or currently
> do autocross, you will be forced to use 14" wheels (or larger) or get lucky
> and find a set of 13's that will fit on the 10.1 calipers.

That's wierd that you mention this, Shawn. I was just thinking about
running some 13x7.5" rims to mount D.O.T. slicks on. The requirements,
however, would be that a) they fit the 10.1" brakes, b) they are a
reasonable offset, c) weigh next to nothing, d) be plenty strong for
street driving, and e) look half way decent. Does such an animal exist?

> The only other down side is the larger brakes have more rotational mass than
> the 9.4's. Just food for thought.

Eh, whatever. :^)
--
Scott F. Williams