Re: Brake upgrade for the '81?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:16:51 -0500 "Scott Williams" <sfwilliams@home.com>
writes:

>I'd agree with the sentiment about not having to upgrade to 10.1".
>However,
>I feel that the bigger brakes offer the potential for *better*
modulation
>which is always a boon. The larger diameter offers greater mechanical
>leverage. Thus it does not require as "grabby" a brake pad to effect the
>same stopping force. Modulation is more important to me than outright
grip
>(because I race on slick surfaces). I get it from a combination of 10.1"
>rotors and carefully selected pads.

I agree with you and will add the only negative and definitely something
to consider when deciding to do a 9.4 to 10.1 upgrade is that you will
not be able to fit 13" wheels on the car. Most people use 15's or bigger
and it is but if you plan to or currently do autocross, you will be
forced to use 14" wheels (or larger) or get lucky and find a set of 13's
that will fit on the 10.1 calipers. The only other down side is the
larger brakes have more rotational mass than the 9.4's. Just food for
thought.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!