Re: Brake upgrade for the '81?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:57:18 -0800 Randy Block <RandyB@E-Risk.com>
writes:

>If you plan on racing or you drive very extreme on the street, upgrade
>to the 10.1's.

Yeah........... that's an iffy proposal. I know that I plan on going to
the 10.1 brakes on my 82 Scirocco but only after ive built the monster
motor for it. -I WILL NEED THE BRAKES- is how I feel about it. (Track/and
some autox use.) Most people can gain quite a bit of braking power with a
few simple changes. Upgrading from the dot 3 to a dot 4 fluid is a huge
step. Hell, most of the time just flushing the old fluid will do alot for
most street drivers. Its highly neglected by many.

Going to another brake pad and properly bedding the pads helps give good
performance and long life. The stock pads are not too bad. Not as good as
the rest of the aftermarket pads but at least they're clean of sorts.

Im still extremely pleased with my autox brake setup although my project
car will ultimately have solid rotors. The combination of vented 9.4's,
GTLMA fluid (any dot 4 fluid is just as good, maybe the Ford HD fluid is
a little better.) Ferrodo pads and DOT SS lines has made my car a braking
monster for quite a long time. Firm pedal feel, fade free, (even after
the long runs at Parumph's race track!) "momma can you feel the teeth
wanting to jump out of your head" kind of braking. For what they are, why
would anyone NEED 10's for daily street driving? Wanting is one thing but
im just saying that there is no need to be jonesing when it comes to
brakes. Decide what you want to do with the car, build accordingly.

>The pulsing you are feeling is likely due to a warped rotor, time to
>upgrade. :-)  HTH

Not necessarily so. All he needs to do is have the rotors turned and he
can be back in business. depends on his needs/funds/abilities/wants.
Anytime you decide to take on a maintenance project its always a good
time to upgrade or at the very least, improve what is already there. Make
it work like it should and you will be happy with the brakes.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!