RE: Brake upgrade for the '81?

Randy wrote:
> Don't feel like you HAVE to upgrade to 10.1's. They are mainly for
> extreme driving or just simply for show on the lighter Mk1 cars.

I'd agree with the sentiment about not having to upgrade to 10.1". However,
I feel that the bigger brakes offer the potential for *better* modulation
which is always a boon. The larger diameter offers greater mechanical
leverage. Thus it does not require as "grabby" a brake pad to effect the
same stopping force. Modulation is more important to me than outright grip
(because I race on slick surfaces). I get it from a combination of 10.1"
rotors and carefully selected pads. Carbotech is the brand that I've settled
on for the last three years. -awesome stuff!

> If you buy new rotors you might consider cross-drilled or slotted (I
> personally like cross-drilled).

Aside from looks, why do this? Slots are a decent way to vent the gasses
generated under heavy braking. However, drilling removes a fair amount rotor
surface area. I'd run standard rotors or go slotted for best performance.
______________________________
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager
GENUiTY - Eastern Region
1 Liberty Plaza, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10006
Voice: 212. 416.1745
Fax: 212.416.1702
scott.williams@genuity.com
Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver