RE: Brake upgrade for the '81?

Nate,

Don't feel like you HAVE to upgrade to 10.1's.
They are mainly for extreme driving or just simply for show on the lighter
Mk1 cars.
I WOULD highly recommend going to vented though (83-84GTI, others) to
eliminate fading.
If you buy new rotors you might consider cross-drilled or slotted (I
personally like cross-drilled).
The new cross-drilled available today don't seem to have the same problems
with cracking and warping like the ones from yesteryear.
If you get the right pads (Mintex, Repco, Ferodo, etc..pick your poison) and
good rotors (Zimmerman, other) you will have plenty of stopping power for
the street and minor racing duties.

The cross-drilled 10.1's require a little more modulation (I can lock them
up at high speed).
If you plan on racing or you drive very extreme on the street, upgrade to
the 10.1's.

The pulsing you are feeling is likely due to a warped rotor, time to
upgrade. :-)
HTH

Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver