Brake upgrade for the '81?

I'm feeling some pulsing in my brakes on my '81, so I'm thinking of a
brake upgrade.  I don't want to do anything drastic just yet (like the
10.1 upgrade), just pads and rotors.  What should I do?  Looking at
germanautoparts.com, it looks like I can get Ate Power Discs for $20.00
each (my buddy has 'em on his Volvo and loves them), anyone else out
there using them?  What about pads?  My brakes are really weak as it is,
I don't race, but I do want good all around pads.  I assume there isn't
anything much I can do to upgrade my rear drums, maybe new drums and
shoes?
Suggestions would be appreciated.  By the way, I'm on a pretty tight
budget.

Thanks,
Nate
'81