RE: Refinishing euro bumpers

At 09:55 AM 3/8/01 , Benjamin Harder wrote:

>1.) Spend the $$ and drop off your bumpers at the local paint shop and they
>  will (should) come back looking perfectly smooth and glossy.. mmmmm

And I just dropped off my front bumper at such a place this morning, by the
way.  $265 to paint it.

It's not cheap.

>2.) Go to your local auto paint supplier and find a bumper primer and paint in
>a spray can.  I found that SEM makes a good product for bumpers
>http://www.semproducts.com/
>
>  Since black is an easy color to match, I thought that I would try option #2.
>I bought 2 cans of primer and 2 of black paint...total cost of under $30.

Bingo -- you can do yours yourself -- those of us with non-black cars have
to pay. :)

No comments about the $$ please guys... I know, it's expensive.  But it's
the same body shop that did my full repaint in the fall and it's worth it
to me because I know they'll get the color right (the last shop fucked it
up, etc, and charged $250 for both bumpers).

All I know is that this is the last part I need to _FINALLY_ get my car
back together!  Picking it up tomorrow - I can't WAIT!

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro
1993 BMW 325i