Re: [tech] Power Windows

Sal-
	I had a similar problem. I don't know if you've ever had the power
window regulator apart, but inside there is a worm gear with three teeth
that engages the spool that winds the cable. The teeth eventually shear off
and the gear has no way to transfer power to the cable spool. Sounds like
what may be happening to you.
	I've fixed this problem twice (different regulators) and I hope to
put together a tech procedure for scirocco.org in the coming months. If you
open up the regulator, you should be able to see if you have the prob. I'm
talking about. Let me know if you have questions. The cure is took get
another (cheap) regulator unit from a junkyard and transfer the gear over
to yours.

hth,

>Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:57:10 -0800
>From: "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca>
>Subject: [tech] Power Windows
>
>Well, now that spring is soon upon us, I need to fix the power windows on my
>84 Scirocco.  The motor on the passenger side is definitely shot.  However,
>the driver's side sounds like it is working.  I can hear the motor running
>but the window does not open and shut.  Presently, it is closed shut.  I
>have the door panel off and I can move the window up and down but not
>freely.  My dad says that it's off it's off its track.  Is this the case?
>How can I rectify this problem?  Anyone experience the same problem and
>corrected it?  TIA
>
>Sal
>81 Scirocco 16V
>84 Scirocco