RE: weighing out: R12 vs. R134a

I just had a shop completely re-do my A/C this week. I decided that my
vehicle is long-term too, so I had them go "whole-hog" on it. My compressor
was seeping oil out the front (supposedly a sign of impending failure), and
I had a pin-hole in one of the lines (the real cause of the immediate
problem). I had them put in a new compressor, re-build all the hoses, put in
a new dryer, and convert to 134a. I can ask the shop owner for more detail
if it helps you.

The total cost was $1100. When he first gave me the estimate several months
ago, I thought it might have been waaaay too high. After research, I
realized that I could have done it a lot cheaper using used parts or a DIY
conversion kit, but not without risk of re-doing it again later. With the
cost of recharging and everything, doing it over would make it just as
expensive as doing it right. I decided to go for the "do it once and do it
right" approach. The compressor was most of the cost at almost $400. I don't
remember what it was, but I remember almost fainting at what the dealer
quoted me, so it sounded reasonable. Rebuilding the hoses cost $160 total,
but the dealer quoted me between $200-$450 FOR EACH HOSE (there are 4), so I
was OK with that.

Sine I'm traveling this week, I haven't seen the car yet, but my GF says it
turned out really well. The original system lasted 13 years, so this one
should too. They seem to be a quality shop, and the work is guaranteed for
the next year. I'm happy so far.

Neal