weighing out: R12 vs. R134a

Well, I am wondering what all must be exchanged for a swap to R134a?  I will
be doing a complete engine gutting for my 16v later in the year, so that
would be the time to do it, I guess.  I see this as a long-term vehicle, so
I think R134a is a good idea if simply for the reason of supply.  I fully
understand it's lower capacities for cooling as opposed to R12.  Which is
tough on a 4-cylinder.  But...

Any comments welcome... or should I put parameters on that? :-P

-Phil