RE: weighing out: R12 vs. R134a

<snip Neal>
The total cost was $1100. When he first gave me the estimate several months
ago, I thought it might have been waaaay too high. After research, I
realized that I could have done it a lot cheaper using used parts or a DIY
conversion kit, but not without risk of re-doing it again later.
<end snip>

Sounds like you did it the right way for your situation.  But in my case,
the R12 had just died after 12-13 years.  The hose, compressor, etc. were
fine.  I went the route of the DIY recharge kits with the oil and the R134a.
Okay, technically, I bought two kits.  If you go this route, make sure you
know which is the high pressure side and which is the low pressure side.
Anyway, that was about 2 years ago.  It worked well through a couple Los
Angeles summers (not icy, but it cooled down the car in time) and is just
fine for Portland weather.  Total cost was around $50.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II