Re: weighing out: R12 vs. R134a

I did the same thing Brad did a little over two years ago.  Mine was dead
and blowing slightly cooled air.  I stopped by a couple of shops and they
told me like $700 bucks.  So I figured I would try out the conversion.  I
went to the auto parts store and bought the fittings (about $10), and 4 cans
of 134 and 1 can of oil $(5.00 a piece).  I believe the oil was colored so
you could test for leaks?  Also, I broke the lower line to the compressor,
and purged it to the atmospere (just my little contribution to that pesky
ozone thing).  One of my buddies had the hoses with the meters, so I used
that.  Now I am already using mine down here in Mobile, AL and it works
great, still as cold as it was the day I put it in.

Regards,

-=Rick
84 8V Wolfs
Mobile, AL
http://sciroccin.iwarp.com/
-
-
-

> <snip Neal>
> The total cost was $1100. When he first gave me the estimate several
months
> ago, I thought it might have been waaaay too high. After research, I
> realized that I could have done it a lot cheaper using used parts or a DIY
> conversion kit, but not without risk of re-doing it again later.
> <end snip>
>
> Sounds like you did it the right way for your situation.  But in my case,
> the R12 had just died after 12-13 years.  The hose, compressor, etc. were
> fine.  I went the route of the DIY recharge kits with the oil and the
R134a.