Re: (tech)2.0 L 16V Build.

At 1:23 AM -0500 3/2/01, Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:
>the head to solid lifter.  Do have the head decked to minimum, but
>.020-.030 more though to get yourself in the 11:1 CR range.

I dunno about decking the head to minimum right off the bat... what happens
if your car ends up overheating and you warp it a bit?  Now your ported
head is junk.  I'd deck it .20 or maybe .30 (isn't 40 thou the maximum you
can take off?), and the get the VW Motorsport gasket to take it down the
rest...

>Otherwise, stock rods will work fine.  Skip the arp fasteners unless
>you're into forced induction.

Get the ARP fasteners, if your budget can take it... My head gasket started
leaking about 7000km after my ported head went on, and although it could
have been a bad installation, I've heard it happen to other ppl too.  The
ARP (or Raceware) fasteners have the added advantage of reusability, which
the OEM ones don't - you use them once and then you throw them away.

>and adding a supersprint header...

Niiiiice..... :)