Re: (tech)2.0 L 16V Build.

I'll take a stab at this, as many years ago, I was in your shoes.  Took
me years to get the right info to make those decisions...anyway...

>I need to acquire the a list of pieces to build my new tuned engine.
>But I also need the advise of the more knowledgeable list members on the
>topic.   (thanks all)
>
> Here is the goal-    2.0L 16 V - with 1.8L head, Scirocco 16V Exhaust
>Manifold, Polished Intake Manifold.    I want 180 hp (total) I want more
>bottom end then top speed.  The car will be a daily driver for the most
>part so I need a degree of drivability. I love torque.     My towns a
>college town Lots of hondas-  I drive a BRIGHT yellow scirroco-  I hate
>to lose.      the parts listed in this paragraph are all that I have
>(block, stock crank, pistons, rods, 1.8l head (with burnt valves),
>intake, and exhaust Manifold).

I believe you can hit 180hp depending on your cams...i sound like
a broken record, but peak hp is for bragging, you drive torque.

>I NEED
>1)Valves-   high performance?  what brands?  will the lengths change or
>stem thicknesses?

Stock, nothing changes.  don't bother oversizing due to what's called
shrouding...it's where the valve starts to get too close to the chamber
wall and flow is reduced.  Others will naturally disagree.  You should
have the head ported however...several venders off the scirocco.org
links page will do this for you.  from $300-$1200...quite a range.

>2) springs-

Depends on cams...268's are at the edge between stock and higher
perf.  I've gotten valve float at sustained high rpm running...I'm
talking 130ish mph at 6500+ rpms for what seemed like minutes, and
my cams are 260's.

>3) cams. I want schricks-  should I run 276 or 286 or?   remember this
>is a daily driver.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but do not over cam your motor if what
you want is a torquey daily driver.  Based on everything I've learned
over the years, keep with a 268 or lower.  In fact, you might want
to try an asymetric 260 intake / 268 combo.  Seems the 16v's like
that difference.  Oh, if you insist and that radical a cam profile,
you're out of the range of hydraulic lifters and have to convert
the head to solid lifter.  Do have the head decked to minimum, but
.020-.030 more though to get yourself in the 11:1 CR range.

>4) crankshaft-  I heard something about getting the "diesel" crank.  and
>then something about a TDI? should I just maintain with the stock crank?

stock crank is 92.8 in the 2L block.  Some tdi's have a 95.5mm crank,
this would increase your stroke...but physics says that you'll need
newer pistons with a higher rod connection, or shorter rods (not
recommended due to torque angles  but that's out of scope here...)

>5)Lifters

have  your head rebuilder replace if necessary

>6) pushrods

your engine is not so equipped. connecting rods maybe?  You might
consider having the full rotating mass of the block balanced.
Otherwise, stock rods will work fine.  Skip the arp fasteners unless
you're into forced induction.

>7) oil pump (high pro?)

bilstein stock replacement.  get the good one from mike potter.

>8) water pump- thermostat?  what temp for my area- WA state (brrrr).
>should I keep my stock fan? (81 storm w/ ac)

replace them, if you run the car in the winter, I'd get stock.
Switch to the 16v rad and dual speed 16v fan is my advice.

>9) brass freeze plugs?   what the hell?

Dunno much about the....all I can tell you is that when I had
my engine rebuilt (the bottom end) by professionals, they
replaced them.  No concerns there.

>10) Pistons-  cast, forged, aluminum?   what is second size over?

Cast is stock, 83mm is biggest cast you'll find.  Made by Mahle in
general.  You'll pay $350-$500.  Every oversize is .25mm, since
83mm is .5mm over the stock 82.5mm, 83mm pistons are the second
oversize for that motor.  Most forged pistons run looser
tolerances in the bores, and rattle on start up...burns more
oil etc...only way to go for a really big motor though.

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mike Blain

My engine makes a dyno confirmed 170hp +/- some error with many
of these same mods plus several more actually.  I'm changing my
cam timing this year (less advance), and adding a supersprint header...
I think I'll be really close to the 180hp mark.  I think I'd like to get
a set of the internal 16v adjustable cam gears at some point too...

good luck.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net