Re: Starter lowdown.

Marie Laugesen wrote:

> Okay heres the poop...
>
> My '88 needs a starter.
> Is it a simple job or a PITA?  Any difference between a standard or
> automatic starter when replkacing it??
>
> I've never replaced one before.  I don't know what I'm getting into =]
>
> Marie

I might get bit by the 'But's its a Mk2' thing but I think it's no pain
at all to replace the starter on a manual. Autos have them in the back
of the engine, and yes they are a diff model starter.

You will need to pull the two big bolts holding it and the front motor
mount out to get the thing free, might as well consider replacing said
front mount while it's out.

Before you replace the thing you should recondition the posts, cables,
and grounds in the engine bay. Makes a world of difference to get the
electricity moving around were it needs to go. If it doesn't help fix a
broken starter you will have cleaned things up for the replacement. (heh)

Those bolts might be hex head, 12 point, and or socketed or a combo of
any. Scope it out.

hth,
TBerk