RE: Do our Sciroccos have some kind of soul?

<snip Lauri>
my car didn't start any more. All the lights
came up fuel pump did its bzz, but starter was
quiet. Dead quiet. No click, no nothing. So after
some hitchiking I found somebody who towed my car
to run and I went and bought all the things that
might be wrong. Starter components etc. I finally
arrived to the garage. Thaught I'll try it once
more. It started up fine!
<end snip>

Hmmm.  Was the engine hot when you didn't get a click?  If so, my gut
reaction is heat soak of a dying starter solenoid.  When I had a heat soak
problem with my Scout, I'd hear one click.  But when I had a dying starter
solenoid on my Alfa, I got nothing.  All dummy lights and everything would
come on, but the starter wouldn't make a noise.  Everything would go dead
quiet when I tried to crank the engine, just like you said.  This was
happening when the car was warm (parked for less than 15 minutes).  The good
news was the car would jump start no problem or start on it's own after I
let it sit for a half hour or so.  The end result was a starter rebuild.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II