Replacing Strut Bearings

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the front strut bearings
*without* altering the alignment?  I have replaced these before, but
just was wondering if this could be possible...to save getting another
alignment!  I was thinking if you removed the main bolt from the ball
joint that it may allow the control arm to swing down enough...not sure.
So, anyone with this experience?

Thanks!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
81 Scirocco
80 Scirocco S (picking it up this weekend!)

http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/