Re: 100mm vs 90mm...?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:26:13 -0600 "Jody Bailey" <scirocco8v@home.com>
writes:
> Okay so I have just been wondering.  Since I have to buy a pair of
> half shafts for my 82 Scirocco (90mm hubs) and I have a set of 100mm
hubs
> sitting in my garage, would it be benificial for me to swap in the
100mm
> hubs and buy 100mm driveshafts?

Definitely!

The 100mm axles cost the same, so if you have the hub carriers, you're
halfway there.

What transaxle do you have?
The '84 and up, transaxles accept the larger 100mm axles.

The earlier 5 speeds, FF, FO, FN, 2H have to be machined to clear the
larger 100mm driver's side CV flange.

>Would the 100mm setup weigh much more?
The 100mm axles weigh a little more, but it is negligible.

> I have a 2L 8v with a worked head but I don't think snapping
driveshafts will be
> a problem until I get my hands on a trubo this winter.  TIA
>
> Jody Bailey
> http://www.scirocco8v.com

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro", 100mm
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit", 100mm
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball" 90mm
'84 GTI , 90mm
SciRollers For Sale, or For Parts: '79 White Champagne Edition, '80 Red,
'80 Silver, '84 Black, '88 Red