Re: What is this stuff in my coolant?

Tosha,
My guess is it's just rust(iron oxide).  If you cooling system was drained
the whole time, the metal was exposed and probably developed a rusty scale
surface.  Once you filled it back up and ran it, it flaked off.  Oil will
make the coolant cloudy and whitish and like you've determined will pass the
lipids(oil/paper) test.  I'd just watch it and it if doesn't come back, chalk
it up to over exposure.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/

In a message dated 6/20/01 4:57:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,