What is this stuff in my coolant?

Well, here is the background:

- Car sat for about a full year without running too much.
- Car was then driven around town about a month on 'shakedown'.
- Car was driven 'in a spirited manner' over one mountain range (and
back) and through the desert, at speed, over the course of three days,
in 80-95F+ heat.

On the way out, in Reno, I found what I describe as Mocha Frapachino
floating on top of the rad fluid, (NOOOoooooooooo.....)  I let it expand
out and on the ground and topped off.

Since then I find no great amount but a slight & diminishing 'scum'
which when I dip my finger in comes back (after drying out) as a light
brown (even looked like it might have had small amount of golden-ish
tint in places) dry, dusty rusty powder. Doesn't seem oily at all, won't
make paper translucent.

So, is it possible I had a nasty amount of clogged up gunk in the heater
and/or cooling system and it was purged during my high speed run? Or is
it like I might have originally thought and is the head gasket slipping
synth oil into the coolant?

No signs of coolant in the oil, car never overheated, either on run or
since. It has 150+ miles on the GTI block.

Whatcha think?

btw- I am going to take it back off line to fix all the things I didn't
get to for ND/Cincy: 10:1 1.8 engine goes in for now, grill gets
replaced for crack free unit (repainted), upper front shock mounts &
real H&R springs swapped onto used yellow konis, 'S' model all black
Inst. cluster installed (Thx Doug!), oil pressure gauge, speakers
installed (separates) in a stealth mode way, rear split fold seat from
Mk2, etc., etc.

Damn, might need to paint the thing soon.

TBerk