Re: Engine Question (compression vs HP)

The other thing is that using a thicker head gasket reduces the
effectiveness of the squish areas at the front and rear of the
combustion chambers. The squish area (where the piston comes very close
to the head) forces air/fuel mixture rapidly out of this area as the
piston reaches TDC causing turbulence in the mixture and improving
mixture burn and resistance to detonation.
Putting in a thicker head gasket will let the engine make more power,
but lowering the CR with the correct pistons will let you run more boost
for a given CR.
Dan