Re: A hard, annoying lesson learned about horn circuits.....

There is actually a ground wire that goes from the rack to the body -
there is normally no contact between the rack and the body because of the
bushings (poly or not.)  Your original ground wire was likely broken or
missing.

Drew

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, RoccoPhil wrote:

> Well, spent many hours the other day attempting to get my horn circuit to
> work on my '87 8v (to pass inspection).  Now I only drove it a few times
> after acquisition before I overhauled it, essentially from the PO's place
> and on to my father's place where I did all the work.  Couldn't recall
> testing the horn (will now do so ALWAYS) so I wasn't sure if it was a
> pre-existing condition (not covered by my health insurance, no doubt!).
>
> Tested EVERYTHING.  It came down to a broken ground.  The wheel was not
> grounding to the steering column (it's ground point).  Well, only the center
> of the column (not the casing) was w/o continuity to the ground circuit.
> WHY?
>
> Because in swapping out the power rack for the manual rack, and using
> somewhat oversized poly bushings that kept the rack from fully contacting
> the body, I had broken the ground circuit that runs down the column,
> throught the rack and onto the body (ground).  SUCK!  I had to fab a ground
> wire from a bushing mount bolt to a part of the shift relay bracket, which
> attaches to the rack.
>
> On inspecting the OEM power rack I had sitting outside (it's bad), I noticed
> one of the rack mount spots had some signifigant protrusions that the left
> bushing would fit over.  I guess they would have contacted the body.
>
> Well, I hope I have saved anyone who replaces their rack bushings or rack
> itself some future headaches.  What a pain.
>
> -Phil

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca