A hard, annoying lesson learned about horn circuits.....

Well, spent many hours the other day attempting to get my horn circuit to
work on my '87 8v (to pass inspection).  Now I only drove it a few times
after acquisition before I overhauled it, essentially from the PO's place
and on to my father's place where I did all the work.  Couldn't recall
testing the horn (will now do so ALWAYS) so I wasn't sure if it was a
pre-existing condition (not covered by my health insurance, no doubt!).

Tested EVERYTHING.  It came down to a broken ground.  The wheel was not
grounding to the steering column (it's ground point).  Well, only the center
of the column (not the casing) was w/o continuity to the ground circuit.
WHY?

Because in swapping out the power rack for the manual rack, and using
somewhat oversized poly bushings that kept the rack from fully contacting
the body, I had broken the ground circuit that runs down the column,
throught the rack and onto the body (ground).  SUCK!  I had to fab a ground
wire from a bushing mount bolt to a part of the shift relay bracket, which
attaches to the rack.

On inspecting the OEM power rack I had sitting outside (it's bad), I noticed
one of the rack mount spots had some signifigant protrusions that the left
bushing would fit over.  I guess they would have contacted the body.

Well, I hope I have saved anyone who replaces their rack bushings or rack
itself some future headaches.  What a pain.

-Phil