Timing Jump?!?!? (was: firing order/plug wires)

ok, so I got everything straightened out. new plug wires on straight in the
correct order, new plugs, cap and rotor. motor will fire, and immediately
jumps to approx. 4000 rpm, running smoothly all the way up, then dies. if I
put my foot on the accelerator, it will continue to run, but EXTREMELY
roughly, with lots of backfires and coughs. I think while I was changing
plugs, I moved the car in gear. I tried moving it back to where I thought it
was, and get the same running problem. what gives? did I mess something up?