Re: 16v overheating problems?

Sounds like your fan has crapped out or your fan is shot.  Run a +ve and -ve wire from the battery directly to the fan to see if it works.  If it doesn't then replace the fan.  If the fan does work then check for faulty wiring.

Is the water pump making noises?  All water pumps that I have seen give up the ghost make a god awful grinding/rattling noise as the impeller grinds away at the water pump housing.  run the car, put a screw driver or other such long metallic rod (git yer mind outta the gutter!) up to the water pump and put your ear at the other end.  Listen for knocking/grinding sounds.

Victor

Victor

>>> "Jason Arms" <redbug64@hotmail.com> 07/27 7:04 AM >>>
List,

OK.  Just to remind everyone, the car is my sisters black 1.8L 16v.  I
changed the thermostat and fan switch with new low temp ones.  Drilled 2
1/8" holes in the indent in the thermostat to let any air bubbles through,
filled up the overflow tank, started the car and watched the temp needle go
up and try to overheat.  The coolant was bubbling and erupting out of the
overflow tank.  Fan does not ever kick on.  Could i have a bad waterpump?
It seems to be the last link to the cooling system.  If it is, how is that
so?

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'81 Scirocco S ***Coming AUGUST to a driveway of mine***
'81 Scirocco S (newest additon)
'87 Scirocco 16v
'88 Jetta GLI 16v (FOR SALE!)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin' a new life)