Re: Poly Strut Bearings

I've never met Ron but I respect him and know he has been around the VW
community a lot longer than me. :)
It is true that the earlier poly front upper strut bushings are not as
gentle to upper strut mounts as the OEM ones.
They do put the body at a stress level it was not originally designed
for......but so does most everything else we do to our Scirocco's.
Is it a part you should stay away from because of this?  I don't think so.
I have had these mounts on 2 Mk1 Scirocco's now (one I daily drive
100mi./day) and I will soon put them on my second Mk1 project.
I have not noticed any deformation of the upper strut mounts (other than
what I see on everyone else's Mk1 with normal mounts).
I do run upper and lower stress bars if that makes a difference.
Like I said in an earlier post this was almost the single best improvement I
made to the handling of both of my Mk1's.
Turn in is much crisper, and the car follows the rise/dips of the road a lot
better (less float).
If you are running linear race springs/bilstein sports/delrin and poly lower
bushings/A008RSII's (the way I had my earlier Mk1 setup) than yeah you might
deform the upper shock mounts eventually. If you are running a street setup
than you will probably see no more damage than the guy next to you with
stock mounts.
Where I live there are a lot of little bumps in the road and a few places
where overpasses have shifted slightly from the road surface, but no frost
heaves or giant potholes.
If you live in an are like with major road hazards than you probably don't
want the poly upper bushings, but then again you probably don't want 15"
wheels either. :^)
I am no expert, and Ron probably knows more than I ever will......but this
has been my experience, take if for what it's worth.

Randy
81 Scirocco S "Cosmos"
81 Scirocco S "Mars"
The Beauty and The Beast projects