Re:

With the exception of cars that have been designed
first as convertibles any convertible will be far more
flexy than it's closed top counterpart.

The Cabby is like a wet noodle.  Go over some train
tracks and watch the chassis flex all around, even
with all the added stressbars.

-josh

--- Ben Channard <zeroid@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 	Finally took a semi-hemi-demi close look at a
> Rabbit Convertible at the
> junkyard with the aim of looking for structural
> reinforcements which might
> be applied to our cars (specifically a Mk.1).
>
> 	The top hoop appears to be welded or bolted to what
> are essentially
> guillotined B-pillars.  Can this be easily removed
> and attached to the
> inside of a Scirocco?
>
> 	There is a pretty beefy box section cross member
> attached between the
> fender wells, behind the rear seats.  Looks much
> more solid than a rear
> stress bar.  No more carrying long objects with the
> rear seats folded down
> though.
>
> 	Are there any other reinforcements to the Rabbit
> chassis to prep it for
> topless duty?  I couldn't find anything along the
> sills, the front or
> underside of the car.  Is the Rabbit
> Convertible/Cabriolet a pretty stiff
> bunny or much more flexy than the closed roof car
> (I've never driven one)?
>
> 	Just looking for cheap 'n' easy factory solutions
> to getting stiff.
> benton----

=====
Josh Wyte