Re: how do you steal a scirocco ???

Aireq,

He he he, what a coincidence!
I had to do this to Cosmos (81 Scirocco)  this weekend.
I was lucky enough to use my brother-in-laws slim jim kit (he went to the
Police Academy, not a prof car theif :) ).
You didn't say whether or not it was a Mk2 or Mk1.
It took me about 15 min to figure out what to hook onto but I finially
figured it out.
If you don't have a slim-jim, you want to cut out a piece of strong bendable
sheetmetal 2" wide by about 18" long.
Cut out a square section 1/2 way into the width near one end. (this is what
you will use to snag the lock mechanism inside the door).
I found that you want to be (in the door) about 2" from the end of the door
and just below the door handle.
If you move it around a dozen times or so you will hook onto the locking
mechanism and just pull up.
I am not a professional car thief so this is all I could figure out without
taking the door apart on Mars first.

As far as driving it without a key (also had to do this for a week).

Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the plastic lower steering column cover.
Remove the plugs for the wiper/turnsignals/high beam/ignition from the back
of the stalks and ignition.
Remove the three screws holding the stalk mechanism and remove it.
(be careful because the top plug on the left buried under the top plastic
steering column cover is hard to remove)
Now remove the 6mm allen head bolt that clamps theignition collar to the
steering column.
Remove the black plastic collar/bushing in front of the ignition collar.
(this can be done by pulling REAL hard on the ignition collar but watch out
when it lets go)
Now remove the phillips screw holding the iginition switch into the collar.
Re-install everthing above except the ignition switch into the collar.
(when you put the collar back on the steering column you will need to put a
VW key into the ignition to undo the steering lock)
Now you can start the car and drive it with a key/screwdriver/etc... just be
carefull not to damage the ignition switch while doing so.
***BE SURE TO DRIVE THE CAR WITH A (any) VW KEY IN THE IGNITION so that the
steering does not lock on you***

Once you get a key made, take everything back apart again, instal the
ignition switch (might be a good time to buy a new one) put everything back
together and you are back on the road.

HTH

Randy
Montana Native