Steering rack bushings!

Ugh
	Ok, what's the secret to getting the drivers side u shaped clamp over the poly bushing? I've got the top nut threaded on a little,*everything* from the universal to the tie rods disconnected also to ensure proper mounting. Car in question is an 86 16v with manual steering. I've tried smacking it with a hammer in that little bit of space, to some avail but not much. The lower stud is in the hole fortunately, and it seems if I had enough force to push it over, I could probably get the clamp deeper into the poly fully seating both...I'm stopping at the hardware store and picking up a handheld baby sledge. Don't say put the rubber bushing back in :) I like tight steering, and proper alignment. Maybe I should take a little off the bushing in certain areas? I don't want to do that because I worry about taking *too* much off, and having the rack move under play. Help? Ideas? Oh, and tomorrow it's poly rear axle beam bushings if this is done. Fun fun, my 16v car should be stiff although slow with it's tired 1.8. Eventually it will run right too... Peace,
		-Gary Huff